You can take some simple steps to support your family and friends with dementia to enjoy Christmas. Here’s some top tips from the DSDC:
- Increase light levels; seeing faces helps communication
- Squeeze in some exercise; what’s good for the heart is good for the head! What about dancing around the Christmas Tree?
- Trying singing some songs, “does your granny always tell you, that the old songs are the best”?
- Use crockery that contrasts with the colour of the food so it’s easy to see
- Finger food makes an easy alternative and can be easier to handle for some people with dementia
- Go shopping in the morning when the shops are quieter
- Get the whole family involved in making / supporting these changes
For more advise on how supporting people with dementia to live well, visit our online hub.